1.4.8 Free Shipping Problem Opencart

Please LogIn to Reply!

Post By: guest | 01-17-2013 07:57 Reply

Question

I have a flat rate for shipping but free shipping applies after a certain sales figure.

In 1.4.7 in the check out screen, when free shipping applied. the flat rate didn't appear. It still does in 1.4.8, so needs to be cleaned up I think. It looks silly for the customer to have to select which one they prefer - free shipping or shipping they pay for. Dohhh

Roger

PS in fact in 1.4.7 when free shipping applied, shipping didn't appear in the check out screen at all which was much better I think.

Answers

In fact I just copied back the 1.4.7 shipping module and it seems to sort the problem out - even the new shopping cart format includes the shipping or not depending on sales value. The 1.4.7 format is much better than the 1.4.8.

Roger

Nope, I still think there's a problem.

I have free shipping for orders over £100, otherwise a flat rate.

If I select a product over £100, free shipping applies

If I select a product under £100, flat rate applies.

If I select a product over £100 and then add a product under £100 to the cart, both rates appear during checkout

I agree, lucky it does not show the free shipping when below 100,-

I will report it as a bug.

Edit: Reported.

As reported here: 1.4.8 Free Shipping Problem

When Flat rate and Free shipping (above 100,-) is configured the Flat rate still shows even when the order is above 100,- and Free shipping should be the only available Shipping method visible.

i2Paq wrote:As reported here: 1.4.8 Free Shipping Problem

When Flat rate and Free shipping (above 100,-) is configured the Flat rate still shows even when the order is above 100,- and Free shipping should be the only available Shipping method visible.


Merged back.

This is not a bug. The status of one shipping has never ever effected the status of another.
Even big stores like amazon don't do this.

Granted, but in the example you give free shipping is not a 'bonus' based on sales value which is how it is in OpenCart. This is so because in OpenCart you have a qualifying sales figure - in my case £100. Below that you pay the flat rate, above that shipping's free.

That's not the case with Amazon. Free shipping is a choice you make and it takes a week to get to you whereas paid for shipping gets to you much quicker.

Sorry Qphoria, I think you're wrong

If you put an item above the free shipping threshold into your shopping cart, shipping never figures in the check out.

If you put an item into your cart that's below the threshold, in my case you have the choice (only) of paying the flat delivery rate.

So the system works correctly in the way I said at the beginning.

However, if you put an item into the cart that's above the threshold and then add a second product that alone would be below the threshold (but the two together are still above because the first product alone was), then and only then do you get both rates being shown, which is a nonsense.

It has to be one way or another (another being the wau you say Amazon does it) but that obviously is not how Opencart has actually been configured (I'm glad to say), so I still say it's bug

Why can't it be? What if you changed Flat Rate to Flat Rate 5 day
and freeshipping was Free Shipping 10 day

The point is, this has never worked like that. If people are too stupid to choose the cheapest shipping rate, then you deserve the money.

The way it works now:

Free shipping set to 100
if you have a cart value of 99 dollars
you will see
-Flat Rate

If you have a cart value of 100+
you will see
-Free Shipping
-Flat Rate

That hasn't changed and it how it always worked

Free Shipping and Flat rate are "cart-level" shipping rates. You cannot have some items with shipping and some items without shipping using these 2 options.

I can't say I follow this whole discussion, but I would not like to see free shipping turn off all the other shipping methods. It works this way in oscommerce, and I've had to change it for many clients because they do want to offer free shipping over $x , but they also want to offer expedited shipping like 3day or overnight.

Qphoria wrote:The way it works now:

Free shipping set to 100
if you have a cart value of 99 dollars
you will see
-Flat Rate

If you have a cart value of 100+
you will see
-Free Shipping
-Flat Rate

That hasn't changed and it how it always worked


No that is not how it works now. As I've said several times, if you put in an item that is below the free shipping threshold into your cart, you see the flat shipping rate.

If you put in an item that is above the threshold YOU SEE NO SHIPPING CHOICES AT ALL as Opencart assumes you are entitled to free shipping.

If you put in an item that is above the threshold AND THEN ADD AN ITEM THAT WOULD BY ITSELF BE BELOW then the system offers you both rates although according to the original rule you are entitled to free shipping.

You can't have it both ways, sorry. If it worked the way you suggest when you put in a single item that is above the threshold you would see both shipping choices. In fact you don't - you don't see any.

Xsecrets wrote:I can't say I follow this whole discussion, but I would not like to see free shipping turn off all the other shipping methods. It works this way in oscommerce, and I've had to change it for many clients because they do want to offer free shipping over $x , but they also want to offer expedited shipping like 3day or overnight.


So then you just offer it as just another shipping choice that happens to be free and you tell the customer why it's free (ie it'll take two weeks to get the product). But your method excludes what I want to do which is much more usual this side of the pond, especially (but not exclusively) for B2B.

Why exclude an option when you can have both. I couldn't use it the way it works at present.

that's not the way it's working on my test installs when I add one item that is more than the free shipping amount I see both options, not sure why you do not.

I really think to fill your needs we should have a module like weight based shipping, but it uses price. That way you could just setup two levels up to ?? price it's XX shipping above that it's free, and since it's in the same module it would only ever show one choice.

I'm actually kind of surprised this isn't there already. In oscommerce they use one module to do both weight and price and just call it table rate.

rog_ashbury wrote:
Xsecrets wrote:I can't say I follow this whole discussion, but I would not like to see free shipping turn off all the other shipping methods. It works this way in oscommerce, and I've had to change it for many clients because they do want to offer free shipping over $x , but they also want to offer expedited shipping like 3day or overnight.


So then you just offer it as just another shipping choice that happens to be free and you tell the customer why it's free (ie it'll take two weeks to get the product). But your method excludes what I want to do which is much more usual this side of the pond, especially (but not exclusively) for B2B.

Why exclude an option when you can have both. I couldn't use it the way it works at present.


put a weight based

Qphoria wrote:
i2Paq wrote:As reported here: 1.4.8 Free Shipping Problem

When Flat rate and Free shipping (above 100,-) is configured the Flat rate still shows even when the order is above 100,- and Free shipping should be the only available Shipping method visible.


Merged back.

This is not a bug. The status of one shipping has never ever effected the status of another.
Even big stores like amazon don't do this.


OK, I see.

When setting Free shipment to 5 days and Flat rate to 2 days it makes sense.

rog_ashbury wrote:If you put in an item that is above the threshold YOU SEE NO SHIPPING CHOICES AT ALL as Opencart assumes you are entitled to free shipping.


That is not how it works at all. The shipping stuff hasn't changed since ever.

You also seem to be referencing "items" in all your discussions and that is confusing me. As I said, Free shipping and Flat rate are "cart-level" meaning they have no reference to item types.

if enabled, Flat rate is "always on" regardless of weight, subtotal, or quantity
Free Shipping is triggered when the subtotal reaches a certain configured level. If you have it set to 100 then it will show itself at 100.00 and above. And hide itself at 99.99 and below.

There is no other logic there and that hasn't ever changed.

Perhaps I am not understanding your question. I originally thought that you just wanted free shipping to automatically choose itself if available. There is a mod for that here: Free Shipping if order higher than $100.00.

But you seem to be under the notion that the cart has changed the way it works by default and that just is not the case.

Xsecrets wrote:I'm actually kind of surprised this isn't there already. In oscommerce they use one module to do both weight and price and just call it table rate.


I call it Zone Plus Does Weight, Subtotal, or Item count.

OK let me try to explain again and in relation to how the system is actually working. I have shipping only as a flat rate or free, dependent on sales value.

I have enabled free shipping in the admin panel and set a sales threshold of 100 £, $ whatever your currency.

A customer places an item with a price of 20 in his shopping cart and quite rightly the only shipping option he's offered during checkout is flat rate. That's logical.

A customer places an item with a price of 500 in his shopping cart and he sees no shipping option at all during checkout because he's entitled to free shipping and therefore there's no need for him to select it. That's logical.

But if that customer in fact adds the product price 20 in addition to the product price 500 to his shopping cart then even though he's still entitled to free shipping, instead of not seeing any shipping option at all as above, in fact he sees both the free shipping option and the flat rate. That is not logical.

I cannot see how anyone can say that is working correctly because if it's right to see no shipping option with the single product that's over the free shipping threshold, it should make absolutely no difference adding the second product. But it does. Adding the second item makes it perform differently and that's illogical.

Surely that's plain to see? If it isn't I'm just wasting my time. And I repeat that this is how the system is actually working. I'm just observing what happens. It's a test that I regard as failing, but if it's regarded as acceptable, OK. I need to know because although I've done a heck of a lot of work on my web site, I can't use this system and if they are prepared to test it in as much detail as I have, many other people especially this side of the pond will be in a similar situation. It's unusual for European companies to have a multiplicity of shipping options unless they are offshoots of US companies or are US influenced. We generally either have paid for options dependent on weight or sales value or free over a certain sales value. We call it the KISS principle which our US friends invented but now appear to have forgotten

PS

I just checked out the mod Q mentioned but I haven't installed it. If I had I might not be getting the above inconsistencies but I don't know. I think I now have to think how best to allocate my time, which is now very pressed and I don't think this is being very productive.

rog_ashbury wrote:OK let me try to explain again and in relation to how the system is actually working. I have shipping only as a flat rate or free, dependent on sales value.

I have enabled free shipping in the admin panel and set a sales threshold of 100 £, $ whatever your currency.

A customer places an item with a price of 20 in his shopping cart and quite rightly the only shipping option he's offered during checkout is flat rate. That's logical.

quite right.
A customer places an item with a price of 500 in his shopping cart and he sees no shipping option at all during checkout because he's entitled to free shipping and therefore there's no need for him to select it. That's logical.

quite incorrect. Not sure what you did to your store, but tested both on my 1.4.7 and 1.4.8 installs and this does not happen.
But if that customer in fact adds the product price 20 in addition to the product price 500 to his shopping cart then even though he's still entitled to free shipping, instead of not seeing any shipping option at all as above, in fact he sees both the free shipping option and the flat rate. That is not logical.

it behaves exactly as it does in your previous example any time there is a cart subtotal over the set amount in free shipping both show up. As tested in 1.4.7 and 1.4.8 default installs.
I cannot see how anyone can say that is working correctly because if it's right to see no shipping option with the single product that's over the free shipping threshold, it should make absolutely no difference adding the second product. But it does. Adding the second item makes it perform differently and that's illogical.

we're saying it is working correctly cause it simply does not work as you are explaining. You must have modified something to make it work that way.
Surely that's plain to see? If it isn't I'm just wasting my time. And I repeat that this is how the system is actually working.
no it's not
I'm just observing what happens. It's a test that I regard as failing, but if it's regarded as acceptable, OK. I need to know because although I've done a heck of a lot of work on my web site,
and some of that work must have been to edit something so that you get this result
I can't use this system and if they are prepared to test it in as much detail as I have, many other people especially this side of the pond will be in a similar situation. It's unusual for European companies to have a multiplicity of shipping options unless they are offshoots of US companies or are US influenced. We generally either have paid for options dependent on weight or sales value or free over a certain sales value. We call it the KISS principle which our US friends invented but now appear to have forgotten

PS

I just checked out the mod Q mentioned but I haven't installed it. If I had I might not be getting the above inconsistencies but I don't know. I think I now have to think how best to allocate my time, which is now very pressed and I don't think this is being very productive.

The mod Q mentioned should do exactly what you want. two levels based on price.

Xsecrets wrote:
rog_ashbury wrote:A customer places an item with a price of 500 in his shopping cart and he sees no shipping option at all during checkout because he's entitled to free shipping and therefore there's no need for him to select it. That's logical.

quite incorrect. Not sure what you did to your store, but tested both on my 1.4.7 and 1.4.8 installs and this does not happen.
But if that customer in fact adds the product price 20 in addition to the product price 500 to his shopping cart then even though he's still entitled to free shipping, instead of not seeing any shipping option at all as above, in fact he sees both the free shipping option and the flat rate. That is not logical.

it behaves exactly as it does in your previous example any time there is a cart subtotal over the set amount in free shipping both show up. As tested in 1.4.7 and 1.4.8 default installs.


Xsecrets is correct. You are mixing 2 features here.
You likely have the 500 dollar item set to "Require Shipping= NO"
and the 20 dollar item set to "Require Shipping = Yes"

The behavior of the Free shipping module is not to "NOT SHOW" when free shipping is in effect. You will actually get an option on the shipping page that says "Free Shipping" and a radio button next to it.
You are assuming that it just "Assumes" free and skips it, but really you just have the shipping requirement set to false.

Requires Shipping and Free Shipping are 2 different things and completely unrelated.
Requires Shipping completely disables and bypasses the shipping page, meaning that there is no address data collected or anything.
Free Shipping means the customer does have a product that needs to be shipped but doesn't have to pay for it.

Set "requires shipping" to yes on your 500 dollar product and it will work as it should.

No bug.

So what is the point of having the free shipping threshold?

Mine is set at 100

Customer orders a product price 50 and sees just the flat rate shipping option during checkout. Logical

Customer orders 10 of the same product and sees both the flat rate and free shipping options and is expected to choose between them. Not logical - he's expecting to automatically get free shipping so not logical and not elegant.

You think that is sensible? I have to disagree. Let's leave it there.

Reply Or Comment!
Please LogIn to Reply!